107 - Another Year!
Fiery Dragon Beef
When Nik organized a surprise birthday party for a friend he planned
it around a Chinese theme. Here he shares the secrets of this tasty
appetizer that gives guests a little hands-on fun. Fiery Dragon
Beef is served surrounded by bib lettuce and rolled into individual
leaves by dexterous diners.
six to eight
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tsp dry sherry
- 1/8th tsp crushed chili peppers (optional )
- 1 lb thinly sliced lean beef tenderloin ( remove any fat )
- 1 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 2 tsp plus a few drops of sesame oil
- 3 loosely chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (also referred to as coriander)
plus one whole sprig for garnish.
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 heads of Boston lettuce to use medium - large sized leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Make the marinade by combining the first six ingredients in
a large bowl.
- Add the water chestnuts and beef and stir until they are well
- Heat a few drops of sesame oil in a Teflon skillet and add
- When beef is browned, add beef stock to centre of skillet
followed by cornstarch.
- Stir frequently until meat is cooked and sauce is slightly
- Remove from heat and add green onions, chopped cilantro and
- To serve: Place a smaller bowl inside a larger serving bowl
or platter. Spoon beef into smaller bowl and surround with lettuce
leaves in larger bowl. Garnish with cilantro sprig and sesame
seeds. Make up the individual rolls by putting a dollop of the
beef into a lettuce leaf, tuck in both ends and roll it up.